#OYUvotes: Voter Registration Videos
September 26 is National Voter Registration Day. Are YOU registered? Opportunity Youth United is proud to support this national effort, as we move forward with our mission to build power within low-income communities by increasing the number of registered voters.
Join Opportunity Youth United in getting your peers to register to vote. Together, we can be a real force for change in our communities and states!
- Get the social media toolkit to join the online campaign!
- Use the OYU TurboVote tool to register yourself and your peers.
WATCH the #OYUvotes Playlist
What is National Voter Registration Day?
First started for the 2012 presidential election, National Voter Registration Day has become a 50-state holiday where thousands of organizations and volunteers organize to ensure our family, friends, and neighbors are registered to vote.
Why register in 2017, you may ask? Our answer: States, cities, counties and towns have big elections this fall. Primaries for next year’s state and national elections are months away. As a nonpartisan coalition of organizations, National Voter Registration Day is the perfect opportunity to get involved no matter what party you support or which issues matter most to you.
I invite you learn more about the national effort by clicking here and use #NationalVoterRegistrationDay on social media to spread the word!
We are Excited to Launch the #OYUvotes Campaign!
The purpose of the #OYUvotes campaign is to uplift the voices of opportunity youth about the importance of voting and encourage all our members to register themselves and their peers to vote.
How Can I Get Involved?
Simple! Below are a action steps you can take to help us create a buzz!!!
1. Make a 30-second NONPARTISAN* video about why voting matters and why you vote. Share it via your social media networks using the hash tags #OYUvotes #whyIvote #NationalVoterRegistrationDay..... check out some samples in our YouTube playlist above.
2. Be sure you have registered to vote and urge your friends and peers to register, through the OYU website page (bit.ly/OYUvotes). Take a selfie or picture of people registering and share it to create buzz, using the hashtag #OYUvotes!
3. Share the sample social media posts from our 2017 OYU Voter Registration Day Toolkit in advance of September 26, to encourage your friends and networks to register themselves and their peers.
4. Throughout the day on September 26, be active on social media sharing the link to OYU’s TurboVote registration page: bit.ly/OYUvotes and the hashtag #OYUvotes.
You can also check the National Voter Registration Day website for more ways to get involved!
* Please keep your videos nonpartisan: the videos should focus on why voting matters and what you think about voter engagement, and can mention specific issues or causes. However, they should not mention particular candidates or parties, either in support or opposition.